ARCHBISHOP DISCHARGED FROM HOSPITAL
By: Sonia Hendricks
Archbishop Emeritus Desmond Tutu was discharged from hospital on Tuesday, after being re-admitted for a recurring infection related to treatment for his prostate cancer.
According to News24, the 83-year-old received a visit earlier on the day from Health Minister Dr Aaron Motsoaledi.
“The infection was a consequence of treatment for prostate cancer that the archbishop has received over the past 18 years. The cancer, itself, was well under control,” said his daughter
Reverend Canon Mpho.
According to Mpho, Tutu will continue his recovery at home after he was hospitalized at a Cape Town hospital over the weekend.
“The cancer itself is under control and we would like to express our deep gratitude as a family for all the love, concerns and prayers from many South Africans and around the
world,” added Mpho.
News 24 also reported that during Motsoaledi’s visit – shortly before Tutu was discharged – the Arch told the minister he was concerned that most citizens do not have access to decent
health care and expressed his support for the proposed introduction of Universal Health Care in South Africa, also known as the National Health Insurance.
Followers sighed in relief to know the Archbishop is home again, Mervin Pillay said, “It is so good to know Desmond Tutu is home again, he is an extraordinary man in South Africa.”
The Nobel peace laureate retired from public life in 2010, but has kept speaking out in a wide range of issues, including corruption among South Africa’s political elite.