BRICKZ REMAINS IN CUSTODY
By: Sibusisiwe Buthelezi and SAPA
Magistrate Piet Kotze denied bail for the Sweety My Baby singer at the Roodepoort Magistrates’ Court on charges of rape on Tuesday.
Sipho Charles Ndlovu (32), known to many as ‘Brickz’ or ‘Bricks Mabrigado’, made headlines in September when he was publicly accused of raping a 16-year-old who is believed to be his niece. The incident is said to have taken place in March and a woman who claims to be his wife reported the matter to the police. However, the kwaito star is adamant that he is innocent.
“In contrast to paragraph eight of your affidavit, the State submitted in its affidavit that you have been convicted of possession of drugs in 2007,” said Kotze.
Ndlovu entered the court dressed in a black suit and a black shirt and waved to the crowd that was present in the court and briefly spoke to his lawyer afterwards. The court was packed to the brim as people awaited the outcome that was set to be handed out by Magistrate Kotze.
Ndlovu had submitted in his affidavit that he was not previously convicted of any crimes and that he was not a flight risk.
The magistrate then continued reading from Ndlovu’s affidavit before he ruled his decision. The kwaito star had stated in his affidavit that he is the breadwinner in his family and he had sworn that he would uphold the bail conditions if he is granted bail.
The state’s reason for opposing bail was out of fear that the singer would intimidate the complainant and get the complainant to drop the charges. He has been kept in police custody since the 1st November.
Ndlovu listened attentively as Kotze was reading his affidavit, with his hands on his back, and constantly looked at the interpreter who relayed to him verbatim what was being said in court.
“There is convincing evidence and likelihood that the applicant will intimidate witnesses,” said Kotze.
“Bail is refused,” she concluded.
The matter was postponed and is set to continue at the Roodeport Magistrate’s Court on the 5th December.