Coronavirus awareness continues in KZN
Coronavirus awareness continues in the province of KwaZulu-Natal as four more people who were part of the group of travellers who recently returned to South Africa from Italy have been confirmed positive for the virus.
The KZN Premier, Sihle Zikalala used the opportunity at the province’s post-budget breakfast at the Durban ICC, on Monday to give clarity on the matter.
The post-budget breakfast follows the 2020/21provincial budget speech held on Friday last week at the KZN Legislature, Pietermaritzburg by the MEC for Finance, Ravi Pillay.
Since the report of the first case of the Coronavirus reported in the province, there has been panic reactions and fake news around the virus in KZN.
Zikalala urged the public not to panic as they are working very closely with the national health department and other health experts. He also condemned the spread of fake news around the virus as this is a sensitive issue.
“We urge everyone to take precautionary advices such as washing hands with water and soap, going to health facilities if you feel like you are developing some coughing. I also want to emphasise that if you contract this virus, it doesn’t mean that you are going to die. However, you need to be isolated and get specialised care and they will go back,” said Zikalala.
Zikalala also mentioned that they have identified four hospitals that are ready to help with Coronavirus, namely, Addington, Grey’s, Manguzi and Ngwelezelane Hospital.
MEC for Finance, Ravi Pillay, said that they have confidence in the way the national health government is handling the matter around the virus.
“We are part of the world, so we are aware that the panic reaction might affect the travel and tourism sector if the virus continues. As a treasury department we have a contingency fund which is at this point is sitting at R350 million if it’s necessary to activate that as part of the response, we will do so,” said Pillay.