ILLEGAL CONNECTION KILLS A FOUR-YEAR-OLD
By: Sthembile Shabalala
A four-year-old girl has died of electrocution after she fell onto an illegally wired cable in a street in Hammarsdale on Saturday afternoon.
This incident is believed to have been caused by heavy rains that occurred a few days before which left the cables wet and dangerous.
According to the neighbour Nontombi Mdluli, the little girl was playing with her friends on the nearby road when she tripped and fell on the cable.
“The weather was a bit dull, as it had rained the day before but children were playing like they always do. I was doing my washing when I heard a horrible scream, I thought maybe it
is part of their game,” said Mdluli.
Mdluli said that she heard another one calling for help, when she went up next to them she saw the girl laying on the ground vibrating.
“I grabbed her and took her to my house, unfortunately she did not even make it to the hospital.
She died in my hands. I am still traumatised,” she added.
Spokesperson for the Mpumalanga municipality, Thabani Zulu, said that they have been working on supplying all the areas with electricity but the problem is that people do not come
“It is saddening that it has to take death before people to stop using izinyoka.
Last year another toddler died after suffering an electric shock. We are now forcing people to apply for electricity if they are getting a new house, they are not allowed to stay in the house unless they have legal electricity,” said Zulu.
Family members are still shocked by what happened and therefore could not comment on the issue.
The funeral will be held next week at their home in Mpumalanga Township, Hammarsdale.
The matter was reported in Mpumalanga Police station, an investigation is taking place.