Eskom has officially announced the return of power cuts across South Africa on Wednesday morning.
Eskom says due to delays in the return to service of units that are on planned maintenance and limited diesel supply, it has become necessary to implement stage 2 rotational load shedding from 09:00 until 23:00 in order to protect the power system from a total collapse.
#PowerAlert Due to a shortage of capacity stage 2 loadshedding is to be implemented from 9 am to 11pm today. Media statement with more details to follow @CityPowerJhb @City_Ekurhuleni @CityTshwane @CityofJoburgZA @CityofCT @ewnupdates @SABCNewsOnline @IOL @eNCA @SAgovnews
— Eskom Hld SOC Ltd (@Eskom_SA) October 16, 2019
The eThekwini Municipality advises the following home tips on surviving load shedding:
- Ensure your cellphone is always fully charged,
- Ensure you have adequate cash at hand as atm’s will not work,
- Keep temporary lighting, such as candles and electric torches readily available,
- Boil water and keep in hot water flasks for hot drinks for when the power is scheduled to be off,
- Prepare meals in advance,
- Keep refrigerator doors closed, as a power outage of up to four hours should not cause food spoilage and a freezer should keep frozen food safe for at least a day. It is a good idea to have non-perishable foods available that do not need refrigeration.
- Switch off all non-essential appliances – pool pumps, geyser.