MEDIA APPLICATION’S LEGAL JUDGMENT POSTPONED
By: Khetho Dlamini
The media in South Africa appliction in the Pretoria High Court to broadcast the paralympic athlete Oscar Pistorius’s trial was postponed yesterday.
This follows after Multichioce, The Oscar Pistorius Trial Channel, eNCA and Eyewitness News filed an urgent application to legally air the proceedings of the case which is said to commence 3rd to the 20th of March 2014.
Pistorrius is facing murder charges for allegedlyshooting and killing his late girlfriend Reeva Steenkamp in February last year.
Yesterday, the National Prosecuting Authority said that they did not oppose the application made by the media.
Spokesman of NPA Nathi Mncube said, ”We do not oppose the application but there will be conditions”.
The results of the application were set to be heard yesterday but it did not go as expected when the Presiding Authority of the High Court in Pretoria Judge Dunstan Mlambo made it clear that the verdict of the court will only be released on the 25th February (Tuesday) at 11 am.
Pistorius’s legal team opposes the media application to broadcast the trail live on television and radio stating that this application if granted will alter and disturb the court proceedings.
Student Constable Nompumelelo Dlamini said, ”What happened to freedom of privacy of any individual as provided in Act 108 of 1996 which is the Constitution of The Republic of South Africa?” She continued to say that she feels that Oscar, a South African citizen was being deprived of his legal right to privacy as set out in the Constitution.
A lot of comments made by the public on social networking sites, Facebook and Twitter in particular, were dwelled on the fact that Oscar is an internationally recognised figure through his outstanding performance in the Paralympics in the last few years. The way his case should be handled must accommodate the stature of his calibre by letting the public actually having through visual and audio the whole proceedings in court during the trial.