PINETOWN CRASH VICTIMS LAYED TO REST
By: Zinhle Mngadi
Thirteen of the 23 people killed in the tragic accident in Pinetown last week were laid to rest on Saturday.
Former provincial premier Zweli Mkhize, Durban Mayor James Nxumalo and MEC of Agriculture Meshack Radebe and deputy transport minister Sindisiwe Chikunga attended the funeral to comfort the families of the deceased of the horrific crash.
The deputy minister promised the mourners that government will work together with Transnet to move heavy cargo vehicles from the road on to the railway to prevent such tragic loss of innocent lives on South Africa’s roads.
“The government will be working with Transnet to eliminate heavy vehicles loaded with goods from the roads and onto the rail,” said Chikunga.
One of the mourners who asked to remain anonymous expressed her gratitude to the support shown to the families.
She said, “We are hurting today since we are laying our loved ones to rest but the support everyone has shown us makes the pain go away. We are very thankful.”
Meanwhile, the residents blocked Fields Hill road on Saturday demanding that government ban heavy trucks from using that road. They also said that if government does not listen to their cries, they will intensify the protest and invite NGO’s to join in until government reacts to their outcries.
Twenty three people died in the accident on Fields Hill Road in Pinetown when a heavy loaded runway truck plunged into four loaded minibus taxi’s and one car last week Thursday at the peak rush hour just before 19:00 pm.
The truck driver, Sanele May (23), was arrested and had his first appearance in court on Monday. He is facing 22 counts of murder for the deaths of those he crashed into on Thursday night. He is due back in court on Wednesday this week.