PISTORIOUS TO REMAIN BEHIND BARS
By: Sonia Hendricks
The South African Justice Ministry said earlier today that Oscar Pistorius will no longer be released this Friday.
The Justice Minister is seeking legal advice on whether its parole board was right to decide to free Oscar Pistorius on house arrest after serving a sixth of his five-year sentence for killing
“Whether that decision of the parole board was regular and correct in law is what I am seeking advice about, and if it wasn’t, whether there is anything that empowers me in law to
have the matter revisited,” Justice Minister Michael Masutha told Reuters.
He also said that on Monday he received a petition from the Progressive Women’s Movement of South Africa (PWMSA) – who are against Pistorius’s release on correctional supervision.
PWMSA said that the Parole Boards’ decision to let Pistorius walk during Women’s Month is insensitive.
Pistorius (29) a former Paralympic gold medallist, was convicted of culpable homicide last year and was sentenced to five years in prison for shooting dead his girlfriend, law graduate
and model Reeva Steenkamp (29) on Valentine’s Day 2013.
Some South Africans have mixed views about the decision made by the Justice Ministry.
“As a woman I understand what the fuss is about and the reason for him to stay behind bars is justified,” said Hannah Fall a 24-year-old model.
Muhammad Khan, a law student said, “Give the man a break, he already is living with the guilt. “
“He deserves to get a lasting sentence like fellow South Africans,” said Andrew Cliff, a paraplegic.