PRESIDENT ZUMA ORDERED TO REST
By: Nompilo Kunene
The presidency reported that President Jacob Zuma was admitted to hospital for tests on Saturday.
“President Jacob Zuma has on 7 June, been admitted to hospital for tests,” his spokesman, Mac Maharaj, said in a media statement.
“Yesterday President Zuma was advised to rest following a demanding election and transition programme to the new administration,” he said.
Maharaj said doctors were satisfied with Zuma’s condition. He did not say which hospital the president had been admitted to.
On Friday, the ANC national officials ordered Zuma to take a break. Zuma’s office said his doctors had felt he needed to be hospitalised for a thorough check-up after a grueling election campaign, which saw him elected to a second term in May.
At the Nehawu special congress held on Friday in Benoni, on the East Rand, Deputy President, Cyril Ramaphosa said Zuma must now rest.
“Following a grueling election campaign we found that he needed to rest,” he said.
Zuma was scheduled to address the National Education, Health and Allied Workers Union congress, but sent Ramaphosa to deliver his speech.
ANC Secretary General Gwede Mantashe told reporters at the ruling party’s Lekgotla in Irene, outside Pretoria, that the president was exhausted.
He said Zuma was given time to recover before he held a Cabinet Lekgotla this week.
Zuma was discharged from hospital on Sunday evening.
“The president will continue to rest for a few days and will work mainly from home during the rest period,” said Jeff Radebe, the Minister in the Presidency, in a statement.