R15 MILLION DISASTER CENTRE LAUNCHED
By: Nhlanhla Mthembu
The MEC for the Department of Co-operative Governance and Traditional Affairs (cogta) in KwaZulu-Natal, Nomusa Dube-Ncube, officially opened the Ilembe District Disaster
Management Centre at Stanger in KwaDukuza, on Thursday.
The newly built R15 million centre is located in Stanger and houses state-of-the-art rescue equipment and a world class communication systems which enables residents from the
furthest point in the Municipality to report any incidents for a speedy response.
According to Dube-Ncube, the opening of the centre is done at the right time as the province is in the midst of its worst drought in 21 years.
“We have not had much rain in the past two years and this has created a host of problems for us which include the risk of wild fires as vegetation is much drier than in previous years,”
MEC Dube-Ncube added that the government will be building more disaster management centres across the province.
“We have so far officially opened these centres in eThekwini, uMkhanyakude, Harry Gwala and uThukela, We are also completing the construction of the main centre which will be in
the Pietermaritzburg and will be linked to other centres across the Province,” added Dube-Ncube.
Community members said that they are thankful for this initiative by the government and they will make use of the centre and they also believe it is coming with job opportunities for
“I trust that the project will open jobs opportunities in the area and community member will make use of the place to reporting and seeking help when necessary,” said Tshitshi Nzuza, a
The state-of-the-art centre is part of the government’s strategic plan to building disaster centres for all districts in the province.