IGESUND’S NEW PLAN FOR BAFANA
By: Siyabonga Ngcobo
Bafana Bafana head coach, Gordon Igesund has revealed his new plan for the team after failing to qualify for the 2014 World Cup in Brazil.
Bafana conquered Botswana 4-1 on Saturday. But it didn’t help them to continue with the World Cup qualifying games due to the fact that Ethiopia won against Central African Republic to top Group A.
“I have started thinking about some of the younger players that were not here like Daylon Claasen, Patosi Ayanda and a lot of young players coming through. And now that we are out of all these official qualifying games and the Afcon and so forth now is the opportunity to really start having a look at some of these younger players and start building a squad for 2018,” Igesund told Mzansi Diski.
He added, “Now that we are out of the World Cup we should try new things but we will not wipe out everything because we have made progress during last year. We now have an identity and the passion is back. We now need continuity.”
The first test for Igesund’s new plan started Wednesday night as they clashed against Zimbabwe on a friendly match. Business Day reported earlier in the day that Igesund had confirmed that he would start with local based players except the goal keeper Darran Kerit who’s based abroad.
Igesund’s future with Bafana is uncertain as he didn’t fulfil his mandate with the South African Football Association. The mandate was to reach the semi-finals of the Afcon and qualify for 2014 World Cup.
Even though Igesund didn’t meet his mandate, IOL Sports reported him saying, “I was told by Safa that they were very happy with the way things were going and I should continue until 2014.”
Igesund’s contract expires in 2014.