MANCHESTER UNITED STILL BIDDING FOR FABREAGAS
By: Neo Goba
Manchester United Manager David Moyes revealed that he has not yet given up on the chase of Cesc Fabregas after making a second bid for the Barcelona midfielder.
United offered the Spanish champions Barca £25 million bid from last week. On Monday, Moyes confirmed that the offer had appreciated to be worth £30m plus add-ons has been lodged to secure his service. .
The Red Devils confirmed last Monday that they had made an initial approach for the former Arsenal star, of which was swiftly rejected.
According to United website, Moyes is determined to do everything he can to lure Fabregas back to the Premier League as he seeks a marquee signing to mark his arrival at Old Trafford.
Not so long ago, Fabregas made it clear that he is not willing to leave the Catalans. “I’ve always said that I’m happy at Barca. Whoever says that I’m leaving doesn’t know me and has never spoken with me nor with my agent because he knows that I don’t want him to talk with other people about me,” said Fabregas.
The former Gunner mid-fielder further said: “I’m very private and I don’t even talk about these things with my family. If someone says anything that isn’t that I want to play at Barca, it’s completely absurd.”
Executive vice-chairman of Red Devils, Ed Woodward, returned to England ahead of schedule last Wednesday to lead the Fabregas negotiations and Moyes said: “As I understand it, Ed had a response (to the first offer). We have made a second offer but Ed is dealing with it rather than me.”
According to reports from Spain, Barca will not make a decision on Fabregas until they appoint a successor to coach Tito Vilanov. Moyes acknowledged there may come a time when he has to turn to other targets.
“I think a point does come,” said Moyes. “But when you are interested in good players you want to give it every opportunity to materialize.”
“I will hope things will continue to move forward.
“At this moment in time I can only tell you Ed Woodward is working hard to try and make the deals happen. We hope some of them will fall into place shortly.”
Moyes has also been linked with moves for Real Madrid forward Cristiano Ronaldo and Tottenham winger Gareth Bale, plus raiding his old club Everton for Leighton Baines and Marouane Fellaini.
So far though he has been frustrated, with new Madrid boss Carlo Ancelotti on Sunday making it clear he doesn’t expect Ronaldo to rejoin United.
And Moyes, who is also fighting to persuade Wayne Rooney to snub advances from Chelsea, admitted he can understand why some fans are nervous about the lack of fresh faces as the champions gear up for the first season of the post-Ferguson era.
“I can understand that feeling. But there have been quite a few changes. Other managers have changed their clubs too and everybody thought this might be the summer when transfers are done later in the month,” he said.
“That was always the thought I had when I came into the club. You have to remember I only started on July 1, so in truth I have only been in the job three weeks at this present time.”