Concern over road accidents in KZN
The Kwazulu-Natal MEC for Transport, Community Safety, and Liaison Bheki Ntuli has extended his condolences to the families of the 8 deceased people who were killed in a car crash over the weekend.
A statement released by MEC Ntuli expressed how saddened, he was over the recent accidents in KZN.
“I’m deeply saddened at the continued loss of lives, particularly as we just laid to rest six people who died in another accident last week in Peacevale. What is most worrying is that it seems as though our motorists are not adhering to our road rules and speed limits which in the main is leading to these accidents,” says Ntuli.
The car crash claimed 8 lives including 2 children who were killed, when a Sedan and Toyota Fortuna collided head-on on the N11 on and burst into flames on Saturday evening, between Ladysmith and Newcastle.
The MEC for Transport also says that the 8 car crash fatalities are yet to be identified.
A Zimbabwean identity document was recovered in the Toyota Fortuna, revealing that the family may have been from Zimbabwe.
The South African Police Service Captain Nqobile Gwala says it is alleged that on Saturday night at 23:30 on the N11 two vehicles were involved in a collision, leading to 4 people burnt after the vehicle caught fire and the other four in the second vehicle were declared dead at the scene.
The two children are believed to be between the age of 3 and 6 years and were travelling in the Toyota Fortuna vehicle.
“A case of culpable homicide is being investigated by Ladysmith SAPS. The circumstances surrounding the incident are being investigated,” says Nqobile Gwala.