DRIVE-BY SHOOTING LEAVES THREE ANC SUPPORTERS DEAD
Three women were killed in a drive by shooting on Saturday, outside an ANC branch meeting venue.
Three people were killed outside the front gate of Buhlebethu Primary School in Inanda Newtown C, a residential area falling under ward 54 around 4pm on Saturday. It is alleged that a black Opel Corsa with five occupants drove by the school and opened fire on a handful of people before driving away from the scene.
The women had been attending a community meeting to select ANC candidates for the upcoming elections, scheduled to take place on the 1st of November 2021.
The three women have been named as , Ncami Shange (34), Beatrice Nzama (60) and Philisiwe Jili (37) , who all died on the spot, soon after the drive-by shooting a stampede ensued, where four women and a man between the ages of 41 and 70 years old were injured.
The Provincial Commissioner, Lieutenant General of KwaZulu-Natal (KZN) , Nhlanhla Mkhwanazi, strongly condemned the killings.
“The killing of innocent citizens cannot be accepted, we will do everything within our control to bring the perpetrators to book,” said Mkhwanazi.
KZN Premier, Sihle Zikalala visited the families of the victims who were killed and called on the community to assist in identifying the culprits.
“We were not expecting political violence, despite some dissatisfaction with the candidate lists,” Zikalala said.
Minister of Police, Bheki Cele arrived in Inanda on Tuesday to visit the families of the deceased.
“A task team has been set up to look into political killings in KZN, political task team dealing with political cases in KZN is investigating the case,” said Cele.