Durban eateries shutdown due to poor food safety practices
The eThekwini municipality shut down multiple eateries in Pinetown last week after finding Cockroaches, spoilt meat and filthy fridges.
Officials from the municipality’s environmental health unit conducted inspections within the Pinetown area and found several eating establishments who were non-compliant.
“We closed them down because of the dirty conditions and cockroaches. The place has expired meat. They will have to clean up the place and once we are satisfied, they can open again,” said senior environmental health practitioner Thotho Mzobe.
Food Technologist Professor Oluwatosin Ijabadeniyi from the Durban University of Technology Food Technology department has warned against the sale and purchase of expired meat produces.
“Expired meat may contain food borne pathogens such as Listeria monocytogenes, E. coli and Salmonella typhi, which cause food borne illnesses. For example, polony tainted with Listeria led to the death of about 200 people and sickness of others in South Africa about 2 years ago,” said Ijabadeniyi.
According to Ijabadeniyi, a restaurant should also ensure that it prevents the food five risk factors of food borne outbreaks in food service operations, for instance improper holding temperatures, inadequate cooking, contaminated equipment, purchase & receipt of food from unsafe sources and poor personal hygiene.
There are guidelines and protocols which requires any eatery to follow.
“A restaurant should adhere to the regulations governing the general hygiene requirements for food premises and the transport of food. There are requirements and standards for food premises; handling of meat; rooms or premises where food is prepared, treated or processed should be clean and maintained. The premises should have surface finishes which are easy to clean and where necessary disinfect, have adequate hand washing facilities and have suitable controls in place to protect against pests, added Ijabadeniyi.
The professor has also warned about the importance of reporting any suspicious activists within the food services industry.
“First and foremost, the public shouldn’t buy food from the establishment. Customers can also speak to the restaurant’s manager about it and if necessary, inform the Department of Health about their concern,” concluded Ijabadeniyi.