DUT students out on bail
On Tuesday, Durban University of Technology (DUT) students appeared at the Durban Magistrates Court on public violence charges.
The public violence charges entailed the burning of bins, destroying of buildings and assaulting security guards. These were the charges that were presented in court. The charges are in connection with the Kenrol Property protest that took place last week.
The presiding officer condemned the actions of the students.
“This court cannot condone the assault of security guards and burning of bins, no matter what,” the magistrate emphasised.
Ayanda Khanyile, defence lawyer for the seven students, said he cannot comment since the case is still under investigation. He said it would be premature to make reports and it would serve to prejudice the students or have an adverse effect on the case as a whole.
“Justice will be served and there are definitely reasonable prospects if the students succeed in this case,” Khanyile added.
When students returned after lockdown, they realised that some of their possessions were missing and they demanded answers. After a number of exchanges between students, represented by the residence committee, and the landlord via DUT housing, it was agreed that students would be reimbursed. When the date of payment that was agreed upon arrived and passed – students decided to take to the streets. They were reimbursed after the protest, albeit not in full.
The students were released on bail, R500 each, and are set to appear in court on February 10, 2021.