KZN to roll out a 365 days campaign against GBV: Zikalala
The KwaZulu-Natal Premier Sihle Zikalala said the province will be rolling out a 365 days campaign against violence on women and children including gender based violence and femicide.
Speaking on an update on Covid-19 and related issues on Sunday, the Premier said he calls on all citizens to take a stand and say ‘Enough is Enough, Sekwanele’
“We recently launched the programme of action on No Violence Against Women and Children and Femicide campaign in the province last week,” said Zikalala.
He said they will be scaling up interventions aimed at protecting women, children and the vulnerable in the communities.
“Our campaign is grassroots-based, and all MECs, Mayors, Councillors and Amakhosi are leading programmes at a local level and integrating them in line with the District Development Model,” added Zikalala.
According to Police minister Bheki Cele there are 30 South African gender-based violence hotspots in South Africa where in KZN Inanda, Ntuzuma, KwaMashu and Umlazi are amongst those townships.
At a briefing on 22 September, Cele said that other than the coronavirus, gender-based violence was a second pandemic that had reached crisis levels in the world.
130 of the 4,058 people arrested for alleged gender-based violence since the announcement of the lockdown in March were convicted, which translated into a conviction rate of only 3%, KwaZulu-Natal with 230 cases and 375 arrests.
Zikalala said the province will be waging war against GBV and Femicide not just for these 16 days, but for the next 365 days, and beyond.
“We refuse that our beautiful province be associated with violent crimes, especially contact crimes and the dehumanisation of woman and children.
We will take the war to criminals and perpetrators of violence against women and children. We have mobilised law enforcement authorities, and are encouraging society to speak out, and not suffer in silence,” expressed Zikalala.